Looking for a cool dish on a hot day? Here in the New York we’re in the midst of a heat wave. As is my solution to a lot of troublesome events, I find cooking and eating can make my day a little sunnier (or hopefully a bit more cloudier in the case of a heat wave). But with the heat so intense, I don’t feel like slaving over the stove. Instead, this easy to make vegan cream of celery soup which is served cold like a vichyssoise fits the bill. But unlike a traditional vichyssoise it doesn’t drive the calories up with unnecessary cream. The thickness is achieved from beans and nutritional yeast, instead of potatoes, while the celery flavor is enhanced with fresh parsley and garlic. This is a perfect for lunch or dinner. Add a green salad and fruit and voila, you have a perfect dinner for a heat wave!
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (I used a Vadalia, but any white or yellow onion works)
- 1 large celery heart, chopped
- 1 quart (32 oz.) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup of drained white beans
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Salt (very little is necessary) and pepper to taste
- Add onion, celery, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a non-stick fry pan. Over medium heat saute until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Get parsley. If you like me you’ll venture to your glorious vegetable garden and cut it. Ahhh, the joys of warm weather. Be sure to bring a flashlight if it’s dark. Youmay need to scare off the coyotes and fisher cats. (Don’t get me started on fisher cats. We just recently started hearing and seeing them in our yard. Their howls sound as though someone’s getting murdered in your yard. If you hear these screeches on a regular basis you probably have fisher cats. If these pests aren’t causing the ruckus, you might consider relocating to a safer area.)
- Add turmeric, wine and a little pepper to sauteing vegetables and simmer until all the liquid is gone.
- In the food processor put beans, parsley, one cup of broth, and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth.
- Add sautéed vegetables and another cup of broth to food processor. Blend again until smooth. Do not over blend.
- Scrape contents of food processor bowl out into a large pot. Heat over medium heat than gently whisk in the remaining broth until soup reaches desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. Let the soup cool off in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. If you started dinner late like I sometimes do, go ahead and serve it warm. The kids and mainly mother need to get to bed at a decent time.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.