I admit it. I love cooking with family and friends. And yes I love art projects. I used to joke when I lived in Manhattan that if you were to jump on the sidewalk outside my apartment a cloud of glitter would emerge from its exterior. I love creating with my children. It’s a fun time to explore, joke and play. Yet somehow at the age of 15 and 18 the glamor of spreading shaving cream sprinkled with glitter on the table top doesn’t cut it with my children. Instead , I have substituted colorful veggies and play (or pizza) dough. And oh what fun we have. The pizza may not be pizza parlor perfect but I guarantee it tastes as good!
- 1 store-bought bag of pizza dough (about 16 oz.)
- 1 medium onion thickly sliced
- 1/2 orange pepper and 1/2 red pepper (any types are fine) cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Marinara sauce
- Olive oil for grilling
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup flour (for your hands and the surface so dough doesn’t stick)
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Light the grill.
- While grill is pre-heating, decide if you want to make one large pie or smaller individual pizza so each kid can make her own. Let dough come to room temperature.
- Lightly flour cutting board and hands so the dough doesn’t stick.
- Now it’s time to channel your inner pizzaiolo although I’ve never successfully tossed a pizza into the air. A rolling-pin and hands, is my method of choice.
5. By this time the grill is usually hot enough for grilling the veggies (450º). Grease the grill then add the veggies. After several minutes lightly grease the top of the vegetable before you flip them. Grill for a couple minutes longer then reserve.
- Brush one side of pizza dough with olive oil and place oil side down on grill. Cook for several minutes. Then brush oil on the top and flip. At this point I add the cherry tomatoes to the grill.
- Brush the cooked side of pizza with Marinara sauce. Leave on grill for several more minutes watching carefully so the bottom of the pizza doesn’t burn.
- When pizza is almost done top with veggie and basil.
- Remove from grill and serve.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.