Every culture has its version of the ‘roll’, whether it’s an egg roll, burrito, crepe, taquito, Chinese lettuce wrap, goi cuon, American roll-up and cabbage roll. There are different versions of the cabbage roll from various counties: Sweden, Finland, Bosnia, Italy and perhaps most famously Poland.
Cabbage rolls are usually soft-boiled cabbage leaves wrapped with minced beef or pork and rice and are baked in a tomato sauce. It’s a simple peasant food. I can remember my mother in law admonishing me not to cook cabbage in my house if I didn’t want visitors to think I was impoverished.
Yes cabbage does release a lingering strong odor when cooked but cabbage is very nutritious. Well open a window and turn on a fan if you are so delicate. Cabbage rocks! It’s full of manganese, dietary fiber, potassium, vitamin B1 and B2, folate, calcium, selenium, iron, protein and niacin.
And by the by, it’s filling, tasty and a child friendly dish!
- 1.5 cups of cooked brown rice
- 2 cups fake meat (there are a variety available at most supermarkets)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 10 large cabbage leave, plus 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 3 cups of vegan marina sauce
- 2 Tbs chia seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tps turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute onion, red pepper 1/2 cup chopped cabbage and garlic in a pan.
- When soft add vegan meat and continue to saute until ‘meat’ is cooked through
- Meanwhile cook cabbage leaves in a pot covered with boiling water for 4 minutes or just until the leaves are limp. Drain and set aside.
- Add 1.5 cups marinara sauce, ric, cilantro tumeric and nutriotional yeast to to pan.
- Divide the “meat’ and rice mixture into 10 equal parts.
- Put mixture on a cabbage leaf and fold sides of leaf and roll up. Repeat
- Place seam side down in a baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce of rolled cabbage
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve cabbage leave and pour a little of sauce on top.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.