Everyone loves dumplings and they’re easy to make if you have dumpling wrappers. The only caveat is a lot of premade wrappers contain egg. If you prefer you can use gluten free wrappers if you can find them. I finally found vegan dumpling wrappers at a nearby Asian market. Joy!
- 1 packet of dumpling wrappers (about 40) thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chopped ginger
- 3 Tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper( or to taste)
- 1 package tofu (8-12 oz,
- 1/2 cup loosely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sake, dry sherry or white wine
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce (for dipping sauce)
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar (for dipping sauce)
- Separate dumpling wrappers and place on a non-stick surface. Then cover with a damp towel so they don’t dry out.
- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of salt over cabbage and let sit for about 15 minutes to get rid of excess water. Then rinse salt off cabbage and squeezed dry in a a clean dish towel or paper towel.
- Squeeze moisture from tofu by placing the block in dish towel or paper towel. Squeeze well and crumble at the same time.
- To make the filling, place all ingredients, except soy sauce and rice wine vinegar for dipping sauce, in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Stuff dumplings by holding the wrapper in one hand and placing a tablespoon of filling in the center.
- Then wet 1/2 the wrapper’s circumference with a finger dipped in water.
- Fold in half to make a semi-circle. Crimp edges shut with the prongs of a fork.
- Continue until done.
- Place a large pot two-thirds of the way filled with water on the burner to boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- When boiling add as many dumpling that can fit in pot. Boil until they rise to the top then boil for 1 minute more.
- Remove by strainer and boil the remaining dumplings
- Mix dipping sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve Immediately while they’re hot.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.