I love traditional Moo Shu Vegetables in pancakes! They’re crunchy, spicy, aromatic, tasty, colorful and have the magical savory taste of umami. What’s not to love? Lots, if you are a vegan and mindful eater. Most all Moo Shu Vegetable recipes have eggs which of course are a no no for a vegan. The recipes usually contain a lot of sugar, oil and possibly MSG and gluten. In my vegan recipe we overcome these obstacles and still end up with lots of flavor, nutrients and umami! The secret ingredients include: jackfruit : nutritional yeast and shiitake mushrooms!
- 1 20 oz. can of young green jackfruit, drained, rinsed and cut into smaller pieces. (Make sure the jackfruit is not canned in sweetened syrup, brine or water is fine.)
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water: drain, remove stem and slice
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped ginger
- 4 cloves chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 carrot peeled into strips or ribbons
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage (green or purple)
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 sliced raw white or cremini mushrooms
- 5 green onions
- 1 cup vegetable broth (added as needed for sauteing
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons hoison sauce, ,divided
- 1/4 cup white wine or rice wine (sake)
- lettuce leaves (baby bibb, butter or iceberg)
- Saute onions, ginger and garlic with 3 Tablespoons of veggie broth in large sauce or fry pan for 3 minutes. Add more broth to pan as needed.
- Add jackfruit, 2 tablespoons hoison sauce, soy sauce and about 1/2 cup veggie broth. Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when you can shred all the junks of jackfruit with a fork.
- After shredding jackfruit add shredded cabbage and carrots and mushrooms, saute until cabbage softens. Add vinegar and a splash of white wine or rice wine.
- Add sesame oil, remaining hoison sauce, nutritional yeast sprouts and carrot strips. Cover and steam until sprouts soften, about 2 minutes.
- Put into a serving bowl and toss. Add additional soy sauce and hoison sauce as needed. Serve with large lettuce leaves for wrapping on the side.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.