Unlike traditional pesto made with pine nuts or walnuts, and lots of olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese, this recipe is very low in fat, calories and is just as tasty. Nutritional yeast replaces the Parmesan cheese and small white beans replace the nuts and olive oil. As in the traditional pesto, basil and garlic are still used. This is an easy, quick go to dinner especially in the summer when I have an abundance of basil in my garden. My omnivore son always has a second helping. Comfort food to make and eat!
- 1 large bunch basil. Pick leaves of stems to make 3 packed cups.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 can small white beans drained (15.5 oz)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place basil leaves, garlic, nutritional yeast and drained beans (save the liquid for cookies) in a food processor and process for 45 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour over your favorite pasta and toss.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.