This vegan version of hot & sour soup is full of flavor with authentic ingredients. It combines the perfect blend of sour from the vinegar, spicy from the chili garlic sauce and a little sweetness from the ginger and a small amount of coconut sugar. In most Chinese restaurants it is described as vegetarian or veggie but beware almost always egg is used, which of course is unacceptable in a vegan diet, so I came up with this easy recipe. I like to make an extra large batch so I have it on hand throughout the week.
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 20 dried lily buds
- 1/4 dried cup black fungus
- 3.5 oz Enoki Mushroom
- 1 Tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 10-14 oz. extra firm tofu sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup green onion sliced, plus a little more for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup rice wine of white wine
- 1/4 cup Chines black vinegar
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce or 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 Tablespoon corn starch mixed in 1/2 cup water
- Cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
- In separate bowls soak lily buds, black fungus and shiitake mushrooms with boiling water. Let soak until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain, rinse and chop. Cut off about the bottom inch of the enoki mushrooms and separate.
- Slice tofu into thin strips. Chop green onion.
- In a large heavy bottom pot heat peanut oil until hot. Add ginger, garlic and green onions. Stir constantly for one minute making sure not to burn.
- Add veggie broth and wine and bring to a gentle boil. Reserve 1/2 cup of broth for the cornstarch mix. Add lily buds, black fungus, shiitake mushrooms, tofu and enoki mushroom, vinegars, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and chili garlic sauce to pot. Simmer.
- Sir cornstarch into 1/2 cup reserved broth until smooth. Gradually add to soup. Stir until soup is blended. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; boil 1 minute.
- Pour soup into bowls. Garnish with sliced green and cilantro, if desired. Serve.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.