Potato latkes are a traditional Hanukkah food. My twist in this vegan version is to replace the egg with a flax-seed egg and to develop the gluten by tossing the ingredients well. Although I still use oil, I use much less than most recipes require. You can eliminate the oil altogether by baking the potato pancakes on parchment paper instead of frying.I like to serve them with a vegan sour cream (see separate recipe) and cut up apples. The ultimate compliment for this recipe came from my omnivore son who loves them as much as the traditional recipe.
- 3 pounds of potatoes (I prefer Russet but you can also use Yukon Gold)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 Tablespoons sliced green onion
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened almond or rice milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon flax-seed
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon grape seed oil
- Peel and grate potatoes. I use a Cuisinart food processor with the shredding disc but you can also use a box grater.
- Place shredded potatoes on a dishcloth and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. You can use paper towel but heck why not save a tree?
- Prepare flax-seed egg by mixing the flax-seed with 3 Tablespoons of water. Let sit for five minutes. Then mix in your milk.
- In a large bowl combine the grated potato, green onion, milk, flour baking powder, salt cornstarch and pepper. Mix by tossing the ingredients with tongs for a full 5 minutes so the gluten has time to develop.
- Heat coconut and grape seed oil in a large, non-stick fry pan on medium until oil is sizzling. If you to bake the latkes, line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Form a small ball of the potato mixture(about 1/3 cup) by hand into a paddy. Place each paddy in fry pan or on cookie. Flatten each paddy by pressing down with a spatula to about 1/3″ thickness. Fry until the pancakes until they are a nice golden brown and then allow the other side to brown. If baking you should bake about 15 minutes each side.
- Serve with either sliced apples or vegan sour cream or both.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.