If you love the woodsy, meaty flavor of mushrooms, this recipe is for you. With portobello, cremini, shiitake and white mushrooms, a true mushroom lover is blown away, plus it’s so easy to make and you can indulge in a glass of wine and if you open a bottle to sauté mushrooms. Also if you have truffle oil go ahead and drizzle on top of the dish at the end! I made this without the truffle oil and it’s still to die for. Unfortunately, I have truffle oil tastes on a canola oil budget.
- 3 cups uncooked pasta preferably Caratappi or any ribbon or short-cut pasta that the sauce will cling to. If you are gluten-free you can use gluten-free pasta.
- One medium large onion ( about 1 cup chopped)
- 3.5 OZ (99 g) shiitake mushrooms
- 8 OZ baby bella mushrooms
- 8 OZ white mushroom sliced
- 1 large portabello mushroom cleaned and sliced
- 3/4 cup drained and rinsed small white beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tablespoon sage leaves sliced plus a couple for decoration (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 Tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- 1/2 cup water or wine divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice all mushrooms. Scrape off the underside gills and remove the stem of the portabello. Put the gills and stem in separate bowl and reserve for sauce.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add one tablespoon salt. While heatig, chop onion, thyme and rosemary. Reserve for later. Once boiling add pasta and cook to taste. I like my pasta a little chewy but cook it to your taste. Reserve 1/3 cup of pasta water. Drain pasta and put into a large serving bowl.
- Put in the blender: beans, garlic, brewer’s yeast, lemon, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, stem, gills plus 1 Tablespoon of reserved pasta water. Blend on low. If too thick, you can add a splash of pasta water or wine.
- Heat a skillet with one teaspoon olive oil when hot add onions and saute for 45 seconds. Then add veggie broth or wine, mushrooms, garlic and herbs. Boil for 1 minute then cover and steam for three minutes. Uncover and remove ingredients with a strainer. Put on side.
- Add blender sauce to pasta. Toss. Add cooked mushrooms with herbs. Toss again. Sprinkle parsley leaves on top then garnish with remaining whole sage leaves in center. Serve.
Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.