If you adore creamy gnocchi but want low-fat, this recipe is for you. It’s comfort food at its finest and a great way to use fresh herbs and spinach from your garden!
- One pound uncooked gnocchi
- 3 cups spinach leaves (separate into 2 cups and 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup canned drained small white beans
- Juice from 1/2 lemon, about 2 Tablespoons
- 1 orange, yellow or red pepper seeded, cored and cut into large pieces
- 2 gloves peeled garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you want it)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes cut in half (reserve for garnish)
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat the broiler of your oven or toaster oven. When hot place, place pepper pieces about 3 to 4 inches under the broiler, skin side up turning when skin blackens. Using tongs put blackened pepper into a paper bag and fold down top of bag so it’s closed. Let sit.
- Meanwhile drain a 15.5 oz can of small white beans by placing beans in a strainer over a bowl.
- Put a large pot of water with a tablespoon salt on to boil. While water is heating, go out to your garden and cut fresh parsley, thyme and sage. (Obviously if you don’t grow your own and really there’s no excuse not to since you can do this easily even if you live in an apartment without a garden, buy fresh herbs from market.) Rinse off herbs if necessary. Cut roughly.
- Turn off pot of water and cover with a lid to keep warm. Remove peppers from bag and peel of skin. This is a messy job particularly if the peppers haven’t been in the bag for at least 10 minutes.
- Add drained beans, herbs, 2 cups spinach, brewer’s yeasts, and spices to blender. Blend until a thick sauce is formed. You will have to stop the blender several times in give the ingredients a good mix.
- Bring salted water to a rapid boil. Add gnocchi. It cooks quickly in about two minutes. With strainer remove individual pieces that rise to the top of the water. Place in serving bowl. Don’t over cook or you’ll have a pot of mushy potato pieces that will stick into a blob.
- Add 2 tablespoons of thehot pasta water to sauce in blender and a tablespoon at a time. When sauce reaches a thick, creamy consistency add to bowl of gnocchi and toss.
- Line bowl with remaining spinach leave and garnish with tomatoes, chia seeds and a pinch of salt.
Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved.