Easy Asian Summer Rolls are perfect for a hot summer night when you don’t want to use the oven. The only cooking required is for heating the delicious peanut dipping sauce. The rolls are wrapped in rice paper with raw vegetables and vermicelli noodles. All of the ingredients can be found in major groceries stores or the local Asian Market.
- 16 rounds of rice paper (banh trang) about 6 to 8 inches in diameter
- 4 ounces bean or rice vermicelli (either one works well)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 sliced peppers
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced mint leave
- 1 cup fresh cilantro or coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 Tablespoon wasabi powder
Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon peanut or grape seed oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili paste, hot sauce or red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter creamy or chunky
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce to serve as an extra dipping sauce if desired
- Cut vegetables. Soak vermicelli in warm water for 20 minutes then taste a strand to see if you like the texture. If too crunchy drain and soak in hot water (not boiling just hot from the faucet) for two more minutes and drain. When vermicelli is the right consistency, separate and put on a paper towel to absorb any extra water.
- While vermicelli is soaking, prepare peanut sauce. In a small saucepan heat oil over moderate heat until hot. Add garlic and pepper flakes or chili paste stirring frequently to prevent the garlic from burning for about 30 seconds. Add peanut butter, tomato paste and hoisin sauce and water, whisk until smooth. Then let it simmer of low heat stirring occasionally until it reaches desired thickness (about the consistency of ketchup). Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Mix wasabi powder with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl or ramekin. Let stand about 5 minutes until it forms a paste. If it’s too runny add a little more wasabi powder.
- Assemble the rolls. Fill a pie pan with warm water. Dip rice paper wrapper in water. Remove quickly. Spread flat on a large plate or cutting board. Lay about 2 tablespoons of each bean sprouts and vermicelli in middle of wrapper then place a couple of strips of cucumber, pepper, avocado and several carrot strip. Finallsprinkle sliced mint, cilantro and green pepper to mixture.
- Fold sides inward. Rub a small amount of wasabi paste on top of wrapper to seal roll. Fold bottom and roll upward until sealed. Place summer roll on plate, seam side down and cover with damp towel. Continue making the rest of the rolls. You can serve immediately or wait up to 4 hours.
- Serve with bowl of peanut sauce and soy sauce on the side.
Copyright 2017, All rights reserved.